A vegetarian diet is a kind of diet that is meat-free which can help you achieve better health. It may sound a bit challenging, but the trick in following this diet is to focus on your goal and keep several easy vegetarian recipes for beginners handy.
In this article, we will help you with how to start the diet right, its benefits, and easy vegetarian recipes
Why Go Vegetarian Diet?
Like many other diets, going vegetarian also has some benefits like weight loss and improved cardiovascular health. A vegetarian diet may prevent the development of certain cancers and fight off the development of type 2 diabetes.
Listed below are some of the specific health benefits of the vegetarian diet:
Better nutritional value
Vegetarian lifestyle means eliminating animal products and meat. Vegetarian food sources include:
- Seeds, nuts, peas, and beans
- Vegetables, and fruits
People must be careful though as vegetarian diets that are not well planned may backfire and result in nutrient deficiencies in zinc, iodine, calcium, iron, and vitamin B12.
Tons of evidence point to weight loss and shifting from an animal-based diet to one that is plant-based. Studies also noted that vegetarians have better BMIs and tend to be leaner compared to those who eat animal-based products and meats. One surprising observation of the vegetarian diet is that even though vegetarians were allowed to eat until they were full, they lost more weight than people who are on a calorie-restricted diet
Enhanced Kidney Functions and Better Blood Sugar Management
Those who observe a vegetarian diet experience health benefits in terms of improved functions of the kidneys and better blood sugar management. Vegetarians showed improved insulin sensitivity compared to those who eat meat resulting in better management of blood sugar levels. With blood sugar control, kidney function is also significantly improved.
Reduces Cancer Risks
Around a third of cancers can be reduced according to the World Health Organization (WHO) with a proper diet. Consuming fresh veggies and fruits has been shown to reduce the risk of death by cancer by around fifteen percent (15%).
One example is that the risk for developing cancer of the colon and rectum may be greatly reduced by regularly eating legumes.
Easy Vegetarian Recipes For Beginners
An easy to whip out a vegetarian meal plan could be one of the best companions for beginners. It will help you sustain the vegetarian lifestyle and can help you stay on track. Listed below are some of these recipes:
Caprese Pasta Salad
The pasta on this salad is best-paired with fresh tomatoes, flavored with white balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, and some balls of mozzarella. You can also opt for gluten-free pasta.
- White balsamic vinegar- 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Fresh basil- some sprigs
- Mozzarella pearls- eight (8) ounces
- Fine sea salt- ½ teaspoon
- Cherry or grape tomatoes- 2 pints
- Extra virgin olive oil- ½ cup
- whole-grain rotini pasta- six (6) ounces
Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls
Who doesn’t like burritos? Aside from being vegan, this option is also gluten-free. These hearty burrito bowls are full of flavor because of its spaghetti squash base that is perfectly roasted. It is pretty fun to eat too!
- Ground pepper and salt
- olive oil- two (2) tablespoons
- Spaghetti squash- two (2) medium-sized squash
- Salt- ¼ teaspoon
- Olive oil- One (1) teaspoon
- Fresh lime juice- two (2) to three (3) tablespoons
- Chopped fresh cilantro- ⅓ cup
- Green onions- ⅓ cup
- Bell pepper- one (1) piece
- Black beans drained and rinsed- one (1) can
- Purple cabbage chopped and thinly sliced- two (2) cups
- Garlic- one (1) medium clove
- Ripe avocado diced- One (1) piece
- Salsa verde (Store or homemade)- ¾ cup
Vegetarian tortilla soup
you can turn this mouth-watering dish into a vegan powerhouse and a gluten-free option. Just skip the feta cheese, and you are good to go.
This tortilla soup can be made at home. This soup is filling, delicious, and slightly spicy.
- 1 piece lime in small wedges
- A handful of fresh Cilantro leaves,
- 2 oz. Queso Fresco or feta cheese
- 2-4 pcs. Radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 pc avocado
- 6 Corn Tortillas ( Taco-sized, 6 inches)
- 1 can (14oz.) Black beans
- 1 can (14 oz) Hominy, drained and rinsed
- 32 oz. Vegetable stock
- 1 can (14 oz.) Crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 Medium jalapenos
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 medium-sized
- Olive oil
- Dried smoke chili pepper