Ginger is one of the most popular spices ever. When you mention at least the top 5 spices used for cooking, garlic and ginger would be on the list. They give your food that amazing smell and flavor. Even though ginger is just a spice, its health benefits have popped up over the years. With research and studies, people now know that this spice goes a long way in dealing with certain conditions. The ginger essential oil has also gained popularity for the health benefits it offers. The health benefits of this oil are quite similar to the ones you get from fresh ginger.
Ginger essential oil is believed to be the most potent form of ginger to consume due to its highest level of gingerol. That’s because essential oil from ginger is the best form of medicine from ginger. This oil can be consumed internally or just rubbed topically. Ginger essential oil is now commonly used for treating conditions like upset stomach, nausea, menstrual disorders, and other inflammatory conditions. When used for aromatherapy, it also gives that feeling of self-assurance and courage. That’s why it’s commonly referred to as “the oil of empowerment”. Let’s take a better look at what this oil is all about and the benefits that come with it.
Benefits of Ginger Essential Oil
- Improves digestion and relieves pain: This oil is one of the best treatments for problems that have to do with the digestive system. It is considered a natural remedy for conditions like diarrhea, indigestion, vomiting, and colic. A study that was carried out also showed that this oil is also useful for the treatment of patients that have undergone surgery. It helps reduce pain for a while after the surgery. That’s why it works well for reducing joint pain and even menstrual cramps.
- Helps improve respiratory problems: Inhalation of ginger essential oil helps clear up accumulated mucus or phlegm in the throat or lungs. Experts say that this oil is a natural remedy for treating bronchitis, flu, colds, loss of breath, and even asthma. By acting as an expectorant, it lubricates the respiratory tract. And with that causes fewer irritations.
- Improves the functioning of the liver: This oil is rich in antioxidants. And with this property, it helps deal with problems like liver cancer and liver cirrhosis. A publication in a journal mentioned that oral application of this oil to mice that had fatty liver disease showed improvements.
- Deals with inflammatory conditions: One way to get relieved from some of these inflammatory conditions is by taking this oil. Inflammation is the body that is a normal process. But when it becomes chronic, it leads to symptoms like bloating, pain, and discomfort. Usually, different organs in the body are affected when this is the case. And it leads to serious conditions. Experts say that this oil contains zingibain. And this compound is responsible for reducing inflammation and also relieving pain.
- Improves symptoms of infections: Using a ginger essential oil, you can deal with problems such as food poisoning and bacterial infections. This oil also has antifungal properties. So you would be able to get rid of infections, and many other harmful substances in the body.
- Improves heart health: One good way you improve the health of your heart is by taking this essential oil. It helps lower the cholesterol level in the body.
- Boosts libido: One way to boost libido is by consuming ginger essential oil. This oil is well-known for handling problems that have to do with weak erections. So for a healthy and satisfying sexual experience, this is a good aromatherapy oil to opt for.
- Deals with anxiety and depression: This is one of the essential oils great for anxiety. It helps deal with depression and also fatigue. That’s because it can stimulate courage and self-assurance. That’s why it’s great for dealing with many emotional problems like fear, low self-esteem, and lack of confidence. At the same time, it helps promote sleep.
How To Use Ginger Essential Oil
Here are some of the different ways you can use ginger essential oil for different conditions.
- For improving mood and boosting courage: Inhale the fragrance for about two to three times a day. Then add a few drops inside a diffuser for essential oils. And use it regularly.
- Heart health: Apply 1-2 drops of the oil to 1 teaspoon of carrier oil of your choice. Then apply the mixture twice every day around the chest region.
- To improve digestion: Add about 3 drops of this oil to a tablespoon of Epsom salt. Then after that, add it to your warm water for bathing.
- To relieve nausea: You can rub one or two drops of the oil around your stomach. Also, you can add some drops to a diffusing unit.
- Alleviate pain: Rub ginger essential oil around the affected area. That should be done at least twice a day.
Side effects that come with ginger essential oil are rare. When consumed in high doses, it could cause symptoms like diarrhea, irritation in the mouth, and mild heartburn.
As for pregnant and breastfeeding women, consultation is important. If allowed by your doctor, a pregnant woman shouldn’t take more than 1 g in a day. For children over two years of age, there should be a problem with taking it. But make sure you confirm from your doctor before you start using it.
If you’re taking certain medications like blood thinners, contact your doctor before use. That’s because there could be serious interactions. And it could lead to risks like bleeding.
If you’re taking diabetic medications, don’t use this oil. That is because it would lower your blood glucose level. And it could make your blood glucose level too low. The same goes for medications for high blood pressure. Taking ginger essential oil, together with it can cause your blood pressure to be extremely low.
Ginger essential oil is indeed one of the best we have in town. It’s great for dealing with a lot of medical conditions. So it wouldn’t be a bad idea if you decide to opt for ginger essential oil.