A sebaceous cyst is a small lump under human skin and nothing to worry about because this cyst is noncancerous. It usually grows without any pain but sometimes it becomes inflamed and painful.
The sebaceous cyst usually found in a person’s upper back, neck, upper chest, and face. However, it can occur in different parts of our body. A sebaceous cyst is not cancerous and it can resolve to own its own. Sometimes though, due to different factors, it can be inflamed or infected if left untreated. This can cause other health complications.
The sebaceous cyst contains keratin, not sebum or oil. It’s originated from the outer layer of our skin, not in our sebaceous glands and the real name of a sebaceous cyst is an epidermoid cyst. But today even medical people still use the term sebaceous cyst instead of an epidermoid cyst.
How To Get Rid Of Your Sebaceous Cyst?
1. Home remedies
- Use heating pad: Put heating pad directly on the cyst for 20-30 minutes and repeat the procedure three to four times a day. By doing this for 10 days the cyst will get smaller and eventually will get rid. Some cyst contains sebum that will be melt if heated. But having cyst does not contain sebum but contains a keratin heating pad is not for this.
- Do not squeeze your cyst: Squeezing your cyst will make the condition worse due to infection and it will also push the lump in your face or the part of your body that develops sebaceous cysts and infection may spread more.
- Clean your cyst daily: Wash the skin around your cyst to keep it clean by using antibacterial soap to avoid infections. Do not use harsh soap because it can make our skin drier and will make the inflammation worse.
- Bandage the infected cyst: Overexposure of your infected cysts will develop more infection because of bacteria in the environment. If your cyst got infected do bandage it to avoid further infection and do not touch it. Change the bandage daily to avoid further complications and if the cyst becomes more swollen and painful go to your doctor.
- Avoid too much sun exposure: Too much sun exposure can damage our skin and if you have sebaceous cysts it can make your cyst infected because of damage tissue and cells that can lead to inflammation and infection.
- Do not use oil-based products: Oil base products may cause your sebaceous cysts complications. Oil based beauty products can cause more clogs in our pores that will make inflame the cysts in your skin and oil base products is warm to our skin that can make the inflammation go further.
2. Medical treatments
- Clinical lancing: This medication consists of incision in the cyst to drain the serum or liquid content of the cyst.
- Corticosteroid: If your sebaceous cyst is infected and inflamed your doctor will inject you corticosteroid to reduce the inflammation and infection of your cyst.
- Minimal excision: Minimal excision will reduce the occurrence of scar caused by sebaceous cysts. Minimal excision will make insertion to drain the liquid inside the cyst.
- Carbon dioxide laser: Sebaceous cyst removal can cause a scar in our skin. Using carbon dioxide laser will minimize the scar.
- Total excision: This procedure will guarantee a 100% cure rate of the cyst but it will scar in the area where the cyst located.
Symptoms of Sebaceous Cyst
Sebaceous cyst sometimes looks like a pimple with different characteristics. The following are the symptoms of a sebaceous cyst that will help you to determine the cyst from other health conditions that look alike with cyst.
- Free moving around sacs ranging in size from few millimeters in diameter.
- Thick and cheesy with foul-smelling materials from the cyst.
- Yellow to white lumps in different parts of your body where your cyst may locate.
- Redness and swelling are visible around the lump of your cyst which indicates infection.
- Small cysts can be seen in your face called “milia”.
To make sure your skin conditions go to your doctor and consult about your condition and if you are suffering from different skin condition your doctor will refer you to a dermatologist for further check-up.
Cause Of Sebaceous Cysts
Sebaceous glands are located just above your hair follicle that produces sebum. If your sebaceous glands will get disrupted because of pimples and other skin problem it can cause inflammation and if not treated it will lead to sebaceous cysts. When our hair follicle will damage by injury like surgical wounds, accidents and abrasion that can cause clogged of skin pores will form sebaceous cysts.
When a person is suffering from Gardner’s’ syndrome a genetic condition that is not common that usually grow in humans colon that will lead to developing sebaceous cysts. Sebaceous cysts may get from birth defects that they called inborn. It’s very possible that sebaceous cysts can be developed even a person is just a fetus in the wound.
The Complication of Having Sebaceous Cysts
Though sebaceous cysts are not cancerous it can cause different complications in our skin. An example is painful abscesses. It will return if the surgery did not remove the cyst completely.
Facts About Sebaceous Cysts
- Sebaceous cysts may look like acne
- It is a slow-growing cyst
- It is painless
- Sebaceous cysts are soft to touch if it is touched and rolled the skin.
- Cysts may become infected and can form painful abscesses.
- If the cyst may not completely remove it will come again.
- Sebaceous cysts’ original name is Epidermoid cysts.
Overactive and enlarged sebaceous glands are present during the adolescence period. Overactive and enlarged glands will lead to more secretion of sebum due to androgen production. The problem of over secretion of sebum in our skin is it usually we develop acne and acne will lead to sebaceous cysts.
If we see the sign of sebaceous cysts go to your doctor or medical experts even it is not cancerous to avoid further health problems, not just a skin problem. It’s very important that we are aware of what illnesses and diseases we have to treat it immediately.